Friday, December 24, 2010

STGCC Day 3

The last day of STGCC '10. I didn't manage to get anything on the last day, as I didn't want to risk the wrath of the rabid fan's I saw thronging at the lines before it was even announced which line Mori Chack would sign at. It was a rather embarrassing moment actually, watching fellow fans swarm, push and shove each other trying to obtain one of the elusive 20 tickets. Having said, the day was not lost though! I still had one special event awaiting me...

You might be wondering, what's so great and special about the "event"?

My answer is,

"WHAT'S COOLER THAN A FACE TO FACE INTERVIEW WITH THE CREATOR OF GLOOMY BEAR HIMSELF, MORI CHACK?!!?!"

Heh, yes, you read that right, I managed to net an interview with him. ALLLLL THANKS TO toysetc! It was all thanks to him, that I got this super exclusive interview. Which was supposed to have happened on day 2, but due to the mad autograph session just before the assigned timing, it was pushed back to day 3. Nevertheless, I LEAPT at the chance to interview him.

Anyways, without further ado, here's the contents of the interview.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME: If you were not a toy designer, what would you have worked as?

Mori: Maybe I would have ended up working at a petrol kiosk.

ME: Where did you get your inspiration from (for designing the characters he draws)?

Mori: I used to be working in a company, and I had to follow rules on what I could draw, or design. I had to follow instructions on the art I made, and I couldn't draw what I wanted to. During that period, I was already thinking of all the characters I have drawn, including Gloomy, the naughty Grizzly.

ME: What about Nukojyu? What is Nukojyu?

Mori: Nukojyu...ahhh, it's not complete yet, so I would like to keep it a secret for now.

ME: Of all the characters you have designed so far, which is your favourite?

Mori: I like all the characters I have designed so far, but if I had to choose one, it would be Kumakikkai.

ME: Many of your characters are pink, especially Gloomy, so is your favourite colour Pink?

Mori: Actually, Pink is not my favourite color. While I was a street artist, I worked mainly with PINK, Yellow and Light Blue, however the Pink Gloomy bear was a crowd favourite, hence it stuck. Nowadays, my favourite colors are Green and Purple, while in the past it was Red.

ME: Cool, I love purple too!!

ME: What do you think of the toy industry in Singapore compared to Japan?

Mori: I am unsure of the toy industry in Singapore, but I can see that there are many Japanese produced items being imported to Singapore.

ME: You have come for STGCC twice, once in 2008, and again this year. What are your thoughts?

Mori: The last time I came, I had very little interaction with my fans, all I did was sell items, and autograph all day long. This year I had time to walk around, but I am unable to compare as the last time I came I had too little personal time.

ME: I see a lot of food being uploaded on your blog, do you love eating?

Mori: Yes! I love eating, AND drinking (alcohol), however I am currently on a diet.

ME: So what food have you tried, and what do you like? I saw your twitter before the chill-out session at PI on Thursday.

Mori: So far, I have nothing I disliked eating in Singapore. However, what I have really liked are, dimsum, wait that's more of China cuisine... Oh and soups, and last night I had Chicken rice, and I thought it was great.

ME: You were born in Osaka, and now you are in Tokyo, can you tell me your feelings about the places?

Mori: Well, Tokyo moves very fast, and there are just so many other artists. That's a lot of competition. I have to constantly brush up my skills and think of more ways and things to draw.

ME: What about Singapore?

Mori: I have too little time to find out about Singapore, but it is a beautiful place. I am very interested in finding out more about the place!

ME: What are the things you like doing in your free time?

Mori: Driving, cooking, making bread (o.O), AND DRINKING.

ME: You released the Hanyo Usagi this year and Podolly in the past, are you thinking of releasing any other characters?

Mori: I am undecided as to whether or not I will release any other Characters.

ME: This year you collaborated with DEVILROBOTS to produce the Gloomy To-fu. Will you be collaborating with anyone else?

Mori: That will be a SECRET.

ME: Last question. If you have the time next year, would you come back to Singapore?

Mori: Yes, definitely, but it seems that next year is a busy year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The interview might seem rather lackluster, but forgive me as there were time constraints. In addition, this was the first time I ever did an interview + via a translator + I was damn freaking nervous.

It seems he loves drinking, and on retrospect, I am slapping myself for not finding out more about what he drinks >.> I swear to myself that if I do somehow get another chance at this (perhaps next year?) I will do better!!!

Anyways, here are some pictures at the interview!

From left: Mori Chack, Kumi-san (His translator), Me!

Kumi-san translating my questions.

Mori Chack liketh his hair.

Happy answers! :D

And that rounds up STGCC. Even though Mori Chack might seem rather tentative when we first met him, he was a really nice guy! Proven when I met him again after STGCC at Marina Square [haha], he waved to me most surprisingly :D I believe that the language barrier was what made him rather tentative when meeting fans and others, so I endeavour to improve my Japanese!!!

Group photo at the end! And how lucky for a dream come true, even my shirt suits the occasion!

1 comment:

  1. Finally got down to it :P Here it is!

    http://toysetc.livejournal.com/202216.html

    ReplyDelete